Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Would u use 2x2x24 alum or copper wire 100 amp sub panel

Customer Question

would u use 2x2x24 alum or copper wire for a 100 amp sub panel
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the feeder circuit to the sub-panel will be 100 amps, the minimum feeder conductor size is either 4 AWG Copper or 2 AWG Aluminum.

2) The choice on whether to use copper or aluminum conductors for the 4 wire sub-panel feeder circuit is typically determined by the distance from the main panel out to the sub-panel. Since copper wire is more expensive than aluminum, copper is typically used for shorter feeder runs and aluminum is used more for a longer feeder circuit run.

3) A sub-panel feeder circuit is required to be a 4 wire circuit comprised of 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks.............Kevin!