AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have an older Leviton 5226 light/switch combo.in my parts

Customer Question

I have an older Leviton 5226 light/switch combo.in my parts drawer that I now want to use. It has 4 screws, 2 on each side. With the switch on top, light below, I believe the hot from the panel connects to the upper right screw, and the load black to screw on the other side of the switch. A check with an ohm meter seems to indicate that the two lower screws are internally connected together such that I could connect the supply neutral to one side (of the light) and the load neutral to the screw on the other side of the light. There are no fins on either side of the fixture..it appears to have been made that way. Can you confirm my wire connections?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The light would be used for an indicator that the switch is on in most of their combo indicators.

Which means, you connect Hot to the switch section on one side (usually Black screw), the the light load to the other side (brass screw)

Then the indicator light would get a neutral to one side (silver screw) and the other side would get a hot to turn on the light when the light is on. The screws appear to be joined already

Best uses are lights that cannot be seen and you want indication to show the light is on, like floods or a remote garage etc.

Thanks

See the picture below form the spec sheet

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That diagram is for a moderm 5226 fixture with only 3 current-carrying screw terminals (one on either side of the switch, & one on the load side of the light), plus a ground screw down near the bottom. The older (1960s) fixture I wanted to use has 4 current-carrying screws (one on either side of the switch, and one on either side of the indicator light) but without a ground screw near the bottom. I am aware of the diagram you referred me to because I now also have a current version of that 5226 fixture. The screw colors on the old fixture are: black on the supply side of the switch, brass on the load side of the switch, while the screws on either side of the lamp are both silver. An ohm-meter check indicated that the 2 silver-colored screws are connected together. I tried connecting the switch temporarily to the outlet at my workbench, and found that the switch does work, but the light could not be made to work, so I took the old fixture apart. Here is what I found: The switch is connected to the black & brass screw, just as you would expect, with an internal connection from the brass (load) screw terminal to one side of the actual indicator lamp. The two silver screws were connected internally to each other, and to the other side of the lamp. With this setup, the black & the white of the supply cable could be connected to one side of the fixture, and the black & white of the load cable could be connected to the other side of the fixture, with no wire nut required to tie the neutrals together. I suspect this would not meet modern-day code though since there was no grounding screw. And, the lamp was defective, probably from the fixture being bumped around in the parts drawer for so many years. SO thanks for trying to solve my query, but I will have to use a modern light & indicator fixture after all. It is to be used to control an outside receptacle to be mounted on the exterior wall of a cottage, and I'll have to marrette the two neutrals with a pigtail to the fixture to make the lamp light up. BTW, the line diagram is correct in that Leviton install sheet, but the actual 'picture' of the wiring is not, as it shows only a supply neutral (2) coming from the supply cable at the bottom of the box , but no neutral going to the load out the top of the box.

Ok,

First, the diagram posted is a 4 screw combination switch and indicator, it is NOT a 3 screw.

They only show connecting 3 wires, the 2 screws on one side are joined together with a metal tab, so one wire on that side connects to both screws.

Yes, the neutral also goes to the light , their diagram was to get the combination wired itself by the looks .

I looked on my truck and old stock for an older version and was not able to find one even 10 years old.

It sounds like yours may even be made from bakelite since it is prior grounding, which puts is to the 50's or early 60's.

Interesting that it actually has the 2 silver screws, since the solver is designated as neutrals only today.

Black is always Power and brass is loads and travelers on switches.

Thanks for the tid bit of the dismantling and what you found inside.

Thanks