AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Replacing a very old boat lift motor with a new one --on the

Customer Question

replacing a very old boat lift motor with a new one --on the old motor the orange wire in the In the power supply from switch was connected to the yellow wire & wire nutted together--on the new motor to do that i would have to cut the yellow wire and splice to orange --the green was ground on both no problem --the black wire from the power supply wiring is capped off and not used--I have a red and a white wire with spade connectors on them but appears the only spade connectors on the new motor are at the blue and brown wires --I am not much of an eletrician and to say the least do not want to screw new motor up.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Boat lifts are designed by the manufacturer with a specific switch and motor at time of manufacturing.

Changing out either requires an identical one in most cases to eliminate having to completely rewire from the motor to the switch.

Sometimes it is possible to adapt other motors, if they are designed for reversing on the fly. That means, they are made to be used forward and reverse and not permanently connected to run one direction.

So, what is need is the below and maybe we can back into the correct connection:

1. Make and Model of the old motor or best to get a picture of the motors nameplate

2. Exact connections, wire for wire from the switch to the motor.

3. Picture of the new motor nameplate as the model posted appears incorrect based on their manufacturing. Normally along number with no dashes

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OLD MOTOR IS A GE-- MOD.5KC46JN0011A--OLD CONNECTONS WERE ORANGE -FROM SWTCH TO YELLOW ON MOTOR, WIRE NUTTED--BLACK FROM SWITCH IS CAPPED AND NOT USED--RED FROM SWITCH WITH SPADE CONECTOR TO SPADE ON MOTOR--AND WHITE FROM SWITCH WITH SPADE TO SPADE ON MOTOR WHICH APPEARS TO HAVE A WHITE AND RED SPADE ON SAME CONNECTOR TO MOTOR--NEW MOTOR EMI 10773000 0223-0-84 OTHER #. 7 86674 01646 1

Ok, the GE model is not showing in any database, so it may be too old for their to be any references.

Can you get a picture of the nameplate on the motor?

Same on the new motor, nothing to reference those numbers either.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HERE ARE PHOTOS

Ok, thanks.

Unfortunately the GE is missing the critical information. Looks like the label has been ripped and missing half

Is it around?

The post also states odd colors from what the motor shows?

Motor shows having Blue, White, red and black only?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE NEW MOTOR HAS BLACK, RED, WHITE, BLUE, BROWN, ORANGE, AND YELLOW WIRING--THE WIRE FROM THE SWITCH IS BLACK(UNUSED), WHITE, RED, AND ORANGE--GREEN ON BOTH IS GROUND

Ok,

I know what wires and colors the new motor has , that is not the question.

We are trying to back into the connection to your existing switch.

So, we need the information on HOW the old motor was connected and if you have the rest of the nameplate on the old motor.

The information is critical to the determination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DO NOT HAVE THAT INFO AS WHAT I HAVE OF OLD MOTOR YOU HAVE SEEN

Ok, thanks.

I will not be able to assist on the situation.

I will put the question back on the open board for all experts to review and respond if they can help.

No need to reply to this message, it will slow down the process of transferring the question.

Thanks