Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I was told by a home inspector my that there were two

Customer Question

I was told by a home inspector my that there were two circuit breakers in the electrical panel which have two attached circuit. He said that this condition over loads the circuit breakers which can cause nuisance type tripping of the breakers or the potential of an electrical fire within the electrical panel. My question is: is this going to be expensive to fix?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) The home inspector is referencing a double tap onto one circuit breaker. It is a code violation of the National Electrical Code to have double taps on a circuit breaker. Each circuit needs to reside on their own separate breaker. A double tap can easily overload a breaker and trip it. And yes, a double tap on a breaker can present a potential safety issue.

2) If the panel has some spare breaker slots, all that needs to be done is to remove one of the double tap conductors from the existing breaker and swing it over to a new breaker. If the conductor size is 14 AWG copper, then you need a 15 amp breaker. If conductor size is 12 AWG copper, then you need a 20 amp breaker.

3) Depending upon your location in the United States, hourly electrician labor rates can vary from $65 ot $125 per hour. An average hourly rate is around $85 per hour plus materials. Most electricians will charge you for a 1 hour service travel call plus another 1 hour to complete the work. Breakers are cheap... approximately $5 or $6 for a single pole. So a ballpark figure, you're looking at approximately.........$170 in labor plus the breaker cost of around $5 or $6 each breaker to correct the problem.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

Thanks................Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin!