AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I just replaced the ballast in a light in our kitchen.

Customer Question

I just replaced the ballast in a light in our kitchen. Hooked it up wire for wire, color to color. ETC.ETC. I've done it tons of times before. THe problem is that now I have an annoying static that comes over the radio that disappears when I turn the light off. Any thoughts?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

It sounds like the new ballast is an electronic one, where the old one was magnetic.

Can you look at the grounding wires in the ceiling box and see if they are connected to the ballast well?

Electronic ballasts require a solid ground and can output a frequency like the one you have now if that ground is lost or not sufficient.

The make and model of the ballast will allow for finding the specifications

Let me know and we can continue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work right now. Will check tonight and get back to you. ASAP

Ok, very good. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hope you had a good Long Weekend. Had time to check the light and grounding wire.
To Start the Ballast is a Phillips Advance-Centium ICN-2S40-N. The copper Ground wire is connected to the Light Housing (and not connected to the ballast directly, but the ballast is securely bolted to the housing.)
I double checked all connections and all seems to be secure.The ballast does say ( in really small print) that (The ballast case must be grounded. Mount Lamp within 1/2 " of grounded metal reflector). Not quite sure what that means exactly. The ground connection to the housing is located 2 & 1/2 " from the ballast. Would this make a difference?What's next?ThanksTom C

Ok, from what I understand, the ballast is grounded only by way of the housing.

I cannot tel by the spec sheet, if the ballast has a ground lead or not. Or whether the bolting to the housing is the ground location.

So, if the ballast has a ground lead, please connect the ground wire to your ground wire for the fixture, not through a screw and paint etc.

If it doesnt have a lead, then please use a wire and connect tot he ground on the fixture and then to the screw holding the ballast in place.

Need to test and see if you actually have a ground with a tester also. Measure between the hot and the ground and see if you show 120 volts.

This will insure a ground and we can troubleshoot if needed, at least knowing the ground is getting sufficient connections.

You would not believe how troublesome some of the electronic ballasts can be on grounding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Will check tonight and see if that is the solutionTom C

Ok, thanks.

Just like to completely rule out the grounding as the issue.

At the same time, remove the lamps and turn the power on the ballast and see if it changes the situation.