Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

If aluminum wiring is in the home and the gfi has symbol of

Customer Question

If aluminum wiring is in the home and the gfi has symbol of no aluminum, are there gfi compatible with aluminum wiring? Then will it be safe to use appliances like microwave and stoves?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I have not been able to find a GFI outlet that is approved for connection to aluminum wire.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That being the case, you have a couple of options.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my options
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You can install a GFI breaker in the panel, and then use standard outlets (do this for any circuits needing GFI protection on them). This is the more expensive of the two options.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The other option is to pigtail short lengths of copper wire onto the aluminum wire. This is less costly, but must be done with approved connectors for copper to aluminum connections. I would be happy to post a link for approved connectors.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The approved connectors are kind of expensive, but not as expensive as GFI breakers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please send me the approved connectors
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

One other thing to consider with the copper to aluminum connectors... they are rather large, and there may not be room for them in the wall box, behind the GFI outlets, which are rather large themselves, relative to the space they take up in a wall box. Please stand by for link for approved connectors.