Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Is this required hot tub with vinyl liner? there is no metal

Customer Question

is this required for wood hot tub with vinyl liner? there is no metal in it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Per the national Electrical Code, the following are the bonding requirements for hot tubs. Doesn't matter if the tub has a vinyl liner. The hot tub contains water and water and electricity don't mix well. Therefore, proper bonding of the hot tub is always required to prevent any potential shock hazards. Yes, since the pump motor contains a bonding lug, it must be bonded to be code compliant.

A) Bond the pump motor

B) Bond all metal within 5 feet of the hot tub

C) Minimum bonding conductor is 8 AWG Copper

D) Bond all metal parts and equipment

E) Create an encircling bonding loop around the hot tub

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should the 220v water heater be on the same bonding loop as the 110v pump? This was originally installed over 25 years ago. Guess there was no bonding issue then
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, both components need to reside on one common bonding loop.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks............Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks..............Kevin!