AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I would like to piggyback a large treadmill off of the dry

Customer Question

Hello Kevin, I would like to piggyback a large treadmill off of the dry 240v 30A outlet. I can't seem to find a stepdown transformer that can go over 2500 watts.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The treadmill is 120v, 20A. It's in the basement very near the dryer-type 240V outlet that has a 30A breaker. That is the only outlet in the house rated for the power. I was hoping to get some sort of dryer-type plug step-down transformer that could supply the 120v outlet and required watts.Thanks for your help,David
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The treadmill will have the amperage it actually uses stamped on the nameplate.

It requires a 20 amp breaker, that is fairly normal. They list that to be sure it is not a 15 amp circuit.

But, it will not pull 20 amps.

20 amps on 120 volts is actually only 2400 watts if you did use the full 20 amps.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of my breakers are 15A and that current is provided to many outlets and lights.I have tired to run the treadmill on an outlet that didn't have the refigerator, TV, etc. on it in hopes that the 15A and 70's wiring could float the load. Sadly, it can not.So, I figure the dryer outlet with a transformer could provide all the needed power within the capabilities of the circuit.Please let me know if you have a solution.Thanks,David

Ok,

I figured a 15 would not work and posted why they recommend a 20 amp circuit.

My suggestion was to get the nameplate information off the treadmill , so you have the exact amperage it uses and go ahead with your plan with a transformer plugged into the dryer receptacle since you have no other power avaialble or cannot run a new 20 amp circuit..

It is probably around 1920 watts or 16 amps

You can use the dryer receptacle, but it is not allowed to any piggy back connections, it would have to be either in use with the receptacle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. I will get you this information sometime tonight.Thanks,David

Very good, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, there is no placard with ratings or specs. I took off the main cover and found the DC motor rating of 9A at 90 VDC. This obviously does not include the linear-actuator for the inclination function or the interface.The long story is this thing was working fine for a few months then started blowing the circuits instantly. This home scares me.I do know the dryer circuit was redone with the power box about 2 years ago when we bought the home.Thanks again.

Ok, apparently the nameplate has been removed, as every one comes with the specifications on the nameplate with the model number. That is standard for UL.

If you cannot get a new circuit out of the panel for the treadmill, your only choice is to get a transformer and install it on a cord so that it can plug into the dryer receptacle when you wish to use the treadmill.

You cannot wire it direct, as the dryer circuit cannot be shared by code, it must remain independent.

Then you would plug the transformer in when needed.

A 2400 watt transformer will work fine, that is the high end of the circuitry so it will cover with no problem.

The concern I have, is the unit was running fine for a while and only now exhibited the issue of tripping the breaker INSTANTLY, which is normally a problem inside the treadmill itself.

I think the treadmill has a bad motor or controls at this time from the information.

Do a test and plug the treadmill into the washing machine receptacle, it should carry it with no problem. The washer is a 20 amp circuit by code.

Kitchen receptacles are also 20 amp circuits and could be used as a test.

I think you need to verify the problem is the treadmill has failed or the house circuit, before spending for transformer and connections that may not work either.