AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

In a house we bought a few months ago I found dead

Customer Question

Hi, in a house we bought a few months ago I found dead recepticals in our son's room. How do I Trace "open hot" on a tester. It reads.1v on my multimeter. That then seems to feed another recepticsl pair of dead recepticsl.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

An open hot is either a loose black wire on the circuit or the breaker has failed.

Can you identify the exact count of receptacles and lights that are dead at this time?

If not, please do so to have the total and their locations.

A loose wire can either be in the last known good receptacle or the first dead receptacle. This is because the wiring will loop from one to the next and even one that is working, can have a loose wire that is feeding the remainder of the circuit.

Do you feel comfortable testing in the breaker panel for a bad breaker?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, well good luck followed on this one... I went around the other rooms that were listed on the circuit panel for that breaker. It appears it was the 2nd last receptacle on that breaker as the second impacted receptacle had just 2 wires. so I went and looked at a 3rd receptacle and both worked. When I looked closely at the problemed receptacle with half of it working, the bridge/tabs were broken off it. I took a new receptacle with bridges in tact and now the circuit appears to work fine now.

Ok, sounds great.

Usually when the bridge is removed, the one half is switched.

So, might check if there is a switch for that receptacle that controls it and more.

Either way, you can leave it as is if you wish to keep them all powered even if there is a switch.

Good find, that is the next step after finding all the dead ones, then start one by one to find the the problem one.

Thanks