Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

My 30 amp receptacle does not have a spot designated ground.

Customer Question

Hi, my 30 amp receptacle does not have a spot designated for the ground. What should I do with the ground wire from the supply 10/3 cable?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Krebs replied 1 year ago.

Hi there! I will be happy to help you. Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. There is no place on the receptacle to hook a ground to? What are you using this for? Is the receptacle 110 or 220?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
220. I need to change the receptacle for my tenants dryer. They have 3 prong plug. And the new 3 prong receptacle instructions indicate the two hots and neutral but doesn't mention the ground.
Expert:  Krebs replied 1 year ago.

To me it sounds like something is up. Are you sure this dryer receptacle isn't 2 hots and a ground and no neutral? Does the cord coming from the dryer have a ground.

Expert:  Krebs replied 1 year ago.

Is this box that the receptacle is going into metal?

Expert:  Krebs replied 1 year ago.

If the dryer cord is 3 prong then it's probably going to be 2 hots and a ground. If there using a neutral then the plug will be 4 prong

Expert:  Krebs replied 1 year ago.

If you are correct and there is just 2 hots and neutral coming from the dryer. If this receptacle didn't come with a grounding screw then if you have a metal box where the receptacle is going into then mount the ground to it. If the box isnt metal then look on the metal mounting piece of the receptacle and see if you can indicate a hole where there maybe a place for a screw to go into. If there is you will need to get a grounding screw and mount it to that.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) How many conductors originate for the dryer circuit? 3 or 4 conductors?

2) Does the supply circuit cable from the electrical panel contain a bare copper wire along with 1 white, 1 black and 1 red insulated conductors?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) If the dryer circuit contains 4 wires....ie....... 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground, the receptacle is required to be a 4 prong and the cord will also be a 4 prong.

2) If the dryer circuit contains 3 wires......ie..........2 hots and 1 neutral, the receptacle is required to be a 3 prong and the cord will also be a 3 prong. If a 3 wire circuit, the neutral conductor at the dryer frame terminal block needs to get jumpered and bonded to the dryer frame green ground screw. The dryer terminal block may either contain a jumper strap or will require a short piece of 10 AWG Copper green insulated wire to jumper from the neutral terminal screw (middle terminal) on the back of the dryer to the frame green ground screw. This is how a 3 wire dryer circuit gets grounded.

3) All 240 volt electric dryers require a neutral conductor in addition to the 2 hot conductors for the circuit feed. If the circuit was installed prior to 1996, then a good chance the circuit will only be a 3 wire circuit without a ground. If the circuit was installed after 1996, the circuit should be a 4 wire using a separate ground wire.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Thanks............Kevin!