AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Sir, Here is my situation. My outdoor pole light is getting

Customer Question

Sir, Here is my situation. My outdoor pole light is getting hot through the black wire, neutral through the ground and ground through the white wires. It is connected to a single pole switch, which I do not have time to look at today. What puzzles me is that when I first installed the light, it worked for a week or two, then worked intermiditly for a week or two then stopped working. I just discovered this wiring puzzle at the pole this AM. How could it have worked at all at one time?
-Perplexed in Indiana
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

The ground and neutral will both function as the common side of 120 volts.

The only difference, is using the ground for neutral can become a danger to anyone performing work on the fixture with the safety issues of doing so.

It definitely needs to be corrected, white goes to neutral in all cases, never to the ground.

Neutrals are also required to be insulated wires because they too carry the same current as the hot wire and can cause electrocution if you get between the 2 wires.

Once corrected on the neutral and ground, you can then troubleshoot accurately and measure between the hot and neutral at the bulb socket to insure power.

Let me know how it goes and anything needed,

Thanks