AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

My husband and I love the Minka Aire ceiling fans and can

Customer Question

Hi. My husband and I love the Minka Aire ceiling fans and can buy them much cheaper online from America than we can purchase them here in Australia. We use 220 - 240 volts. I was just wondering if that will be a problem with the set up of the Minka Aire. Also we are looking at the Artemis for under our very large covered awning at the back of the house. It gets the afternoon sun and gets very hot in summer. We are also looking at the Wave or Light Wave for the bedrooms. Which would you advise as we want fans in the bedroom which are quiet but effective. I would appreciate your advice.
Di
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Few items to address here.

1. Unfortunately, purchasing a fan form the US which is designed to operate at 120 volts, means you will have to install transformers for each location to drop the voltage down from your standard 230 volts.

The expense of doing so, will most likely make the fan installation more expensive than purchasing one designed for the 230 volts.

Plus less equipment to fail.

2 The Artemis would be a great choice for the covered awning area outside, it has great air coverage at approx 6500 cfm at high speed. It should be well suited for that area.

3. On the bedrooms, you would need to look at the room size for each one.

Then once you have the room size, determine the cubic feet l x w x h is the cubic foot area

Once you have that number, you can then look at the fans performance and find all those that will provide enough air movement for 1 1/2-2 times approx. of the room area at high speed. That is the number I prefer to use.

That provides good air flow at high speed and if too cool in certain times of the year, the lower speeds will suffice.

Then at lower speeds, it will still have great performance.

Example, a 20 x 20 room is 400 sq ft and if 8 ft high, 3200 cubic feet area

Once you find the ones that will provide the air flow, just pick the particular design you prefer for each room.

Thanks