machinc
machinc, Electrical Technician
Experience:  AC/DCElectricity / Relay and apparatus/circuit reading/ 30 yrs Bell South
75209918

I rent an apartment with 2 circuit breakers: - 15-amp

Customer Question

I rent an apartment with 2 circuit breakers: - 15-amp for all lights. - 20-amp for everything else, including a toaster oven. When I turn on several lights and then the toaster oven, it trips the 15A circuit-breaker. **The main breaker does not trip, and
the oven continues working.** If I were using too much power, I would expect the oven to trip the main 20A breaker rather than the lights. It seems like there's some sort of interference between the two breakers. Some more information: - This is an old building
(80+ years), before separate 20A circuits were required for kitchen appliances. It's not technically up-to-code, but is grandfathered in so the landlord is not required to fix it. - The circuit breaker looks to be many years or even decades old, though I don't
know precisely how old. So the questions: - What's causing this? - Can it be easily fixed (say, by replacing the breaker)? - Would this typically violate electrical code, compelling the landlord to fix it?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  machinc replied 1 year ago.

The landlord is usually responsible for electrical repairs unless your lease states otherwise. A non professional should not make repairs theirself.

If you are sure you are plugged into the 20amp circuit but tripping the 15 amp breaker something is definitely wrong.

Expert:  machinc replied 1 year ago.

You should ask your landlord to correct this problem. Being grandfathered " does not exclude repairs.