Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Electrical - I am replacing a standard light switch with a

Customer Question

Electrical - I am replacing a standard light switch with a WOODS Timer switch. The switch box (I have the power off and the switch exposed) has 3 sets of romex coing into it, each has a white, black and ground. All three Whites and ground wires are wire
nutted together. The 3 black wires go directly to the old toggle switch, one on each end and the 3rd is pushed into a hole on the old switch. My question is do I just group the whites and blacks and ground wires but that leaves a RED wire from the switch left?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Please be more descriptive on the switch wires, type of switch, number of wires and their colors. Your previous description is confusing regarding the red wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new switch has a black, white, red and green. The old toggle switch in the wall has three sets of romex coming into it, each romex has a black, white and ground. Currently the three whites are connected, the three ground wites are connected and the 3 black wires go into the existing toggle lite switch
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

OK, the single black wire on the gold screw connects to the red timer wire.

The blacks on the other end if the old switch connect to the black timer wire.

The white timer wire connects to the whites in the box

The green connects to the bare copper wires.