Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have pendant lights that I would like to install on each

Customer Question

I have pendant lights that I would like to install on each side of the bed hanging right above the bedside tables. I would like to install a switch for each pendant light hidden behind each nightstand. There are also outlets on both sides of the bed. I
would like wire the switch and pendant light off the outlets. In order to do this, do I need to buy any kind of special switch and do I buy wire that has only green, white and black, OR wire with red, white, black and green?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. You'll need to check the breaker size for that circuit , that determines the wire size. 15A=14/2 cable, 20A=12/2 cable. Both have a black, white and ground wires. One more thing, code requires that you replace the breaker with an AFCI breaker because of the addition of wire.