Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I am trying to install a Honeywell econoswitch but my wires

Customer Question

I am trying to install a Honeywell econoswitch but my wires are not colored. Three black ones and ground.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Can you provide me with the model number of the Honeywell switch?

2) Does the wall box contain any groups of white wires that are spliced together with a plastic wire nut?

3) Are you replacing an existing switch? If so, is the existing switch type a single pole switch that can only control lights from one wall location or a different type?

4) Do the 3 black wires all terminate to the existing switch or only 2 black wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. RPLS730B
2. No
3. Yes, I threw it away so I can't say. It had 4 connectors including ground. This new one has three connectors and no ground.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies.

1) If your wall box does not contain any group of white neutral wires that are spliced together, you won't be able to use the Honeywell timer unless a neutral wire from the branch circuit is present inside the wall box. Refer to the spec sheet link shown below. It states that a neutral wire is required.

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/images/pdf/rpls730b-honeywell-7-day-programmable-motor-and-light-switch-timer-manual.pdf

2) As an alternative and an option to installing the required neutral wire for the Honeywell, I recommend to return the Honeywell for a refund and purchase an Intermatic brand instead. The Intermatic ST01 series timers do not require a neutral wire. See link shown below:

http://www.intermatic.com/products/timers/inwalltimers/electronic_timers/st01_series

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that is the switch I had before. How do I match the wires up to the intermatic switch since all the wires are black. I didn't take a picture when I took the other one off and remember having some problems.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) I assume the switch box is for as a single pole switch and controls a light in only the 1 wall box?

2) If a single pole, the timer will contain a LINE and LOAD connection. The LINE is the hot circuit feed into the switch and the LOAD is the switched loop extending out from the switch to the load. The 3rd black wire will either be another LOAD connection or another LINE connection. Depends upon the purpose of the 3rd wire. Probably feeding another downstream receptacle would be my guess?

3) I recommend to have an AC voltmeter available to confirm the functionality of the black wires.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.