AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Am trying to wire my kitchen island from the junction box

Customer Question

hi, am trying to wire my kitchen island from the junction box that is already in there.Unfortunately the workers who pulled out the old stuff just left the bare wires coming up from the floor and i don't have a reference to how they were connected previously. what I know now is there are 1 black ,two red, two white and one green coming to the junction box, and if i remember correctly there were a garbage disposal and dish washer and two outlets on the island previously.
now i am trying to wire a gfi outlet under the island,another two outlets(one right next to it on the same box, another under sink) protected thru that for dishwasher and garbage disposal, and connect another two countertop outlets which have gfi inbuilt
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
picture here
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester with readout? If not, need to borrow one or purchase one at a building supply.

Unless you can follow each wire all the way to the panel breaker.

Need to go to the point where all those wires originate so that we can determine each of the wires purpose.

It appears that you have 3 circuits here, one for disposal, one for dishwasher and one for the receptacles on countertop.

So, first we have to determine by each wire and find its associated breaker in the panel.

If you measure between a white and a color, red or black, then flipping each breaker, you should be able to isoolate each one and hopefully the breaker is labeled accordingly to signify the circuit.

Then we can determine the proper wiring for the 3 circuits.

The dishwasher and disposal should be sharing a double pole breaker based on the wires shown, so they might be easy to locate

Maybe there is another junction box in the basement area to access also?

Let me know and we can continue.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy, Thanks for the response.
As you suggested, I tried to pair up the connections.
- There is a double pole breaker on the panel in the garage, which seem to be connected to the two red wires.
- Can the neutral be the same(to make it more clear, when I tested black or the reds paired with either neutral, it showed ~120V, I can't remember if all breakers where on at the time though)
- I was not able to find a separate breaker for the black one, there is a breaker on the generator transfer box and it seem to cut off power to the black,and all else.
-I am located in south florida, my house do not have a basement.As for the junction box,there might be one in the attic, I haven't checked for that yet.is there anything else that you would like me to verify before wiring. Will it be safe to
- connect the black to two separate gfci protected counter top receptacles
- connect two separate gfci protected outlets on each RED for dishwasher and disposal.(I might need to add one more outlet protected thru one of these GFCIs)

Ok, thanks for the added information.

The neutrals connect directly to the neutral bar, so they will always measure 120 to any hot wire, that is normal.

In your situation, the dishwasher and disposal would be sharing one neutral and connected tot he double pole breaker.

The counter receptacles are required to be separate so they will connect to the black which is a separate circuit.

So, if the 2 reds are on the double pole breaker, one red to the dishwasher and one to the disposal.

They will each also share one white, so you will have to tap one of the whites and add 2 more whites to it, and that will give you a white for the dishwasher and one for the disposal.

The counter receptacles will then connect to the black and remaining white.

Looks like they all shared the same ground wire, so it splits off 3 ways.

See the picture below

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tommy.
I have two of these receptacles for the counter top. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lew-Electric-PUFP-CT-BK-Black-Rectangular-Pop-Up-Counter-Top-Cover-Floor-box-/331631385921?hash=item4d36c55d41- I should be able to connect them in parallel on the black without any problems. ??
- If I understand the wiring right,The voltage measured between black and red should read close to 240V, and red to red should read zero. if that is the case, is that a good idea to wire a low current 240v outlet tapping from red and black, and ground? this will be used for light coconut shredder which i brought from india. my other option is to use a transformer on regular outlet.Thank you
Raj

Those pop up receptacles are GFCI, so you can wire them parallel to the first one on the Line side connections.

You stated that the 2 reds were on the breaker, not the black and a red.

"double pole breaker on the panel in the garage, which seem to be connected to the two red wires"

So you have 240 between the reds.

The black will be one phase that measures 240 to one red and 0 to the other red.

The original wiring is for the 2 reds to share a neutral, you have no choice, that is how was originally.

This is called a MWBC or multi wire branch circuit and is done quite often. There is no 240 volts on anything.