Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I am extending my garage and the exisiting breaker panel

Customer Question

I am extending my garage and the exisiting breaker panel will now be enclosed in the garage . Can I live with that or do I need to Relocate to an out side wall ? the feed is under ground 2inch conduit?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) Is the garage attached or detached from the home?

2) Is the garage panel the main electrical panel that serves both the home and the garage or is the garage panel a sub-panel that only serves the garage?

3) What type of conduit to the garage? Metal or PVC?

4) How many wires in the conduit and the wire sizes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garage is Attached House is in Rancho Palos Verdes Ca.
Panel is the main panel serves house and garage
condiut is PVC butg emerges into newly enclose garage in steel.
3 wires in conduit, but size unknown ..its a 200amp breaker box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
send to KEVIN
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the replies.

1) The 200 amp main panel can certainly reside within an enclosed garage as that is code compliant. However, the meter needs to remain on the exterior of the garage.

2) Main panels installed within an enclosed garage are very common and are compliant to the National Electrical Code. No need to relocate the panel.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.