AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a 200 amp panel. There is a 50 amp breaker in it

Customer Question

I have a 200 amp panel. There is a 50 amp breaker in it for my electric range which I am going to replace. The existing range is a GE double oven with an integrated vent. They don't make those anymore. So the replacement is a standard range requiring a 30 amp circuit and the sales guy says the over oven microwave/vent also needs 30 amps. Seems I'm shot 10 amps on that circuit on the panel Can I merely replace the 50 amp breaker with a 60, then split the circuit at the wall to run a new outlet up top for the new microwave?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist

Can you get the Model number of the oven/microwave combination unit, so that the full specifications can be obtained?

Can you also look at the cable that connects to the breaker or at the oven now and see if you can find any writing on the outside of the cable insulation?

That information should help to determine what the situation is and what needs to be done.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The replacement unit would be an LG LDE3037ST with either LG's LMH2235ST or GE's JVM3160RFSS over oven microwave/exhaust fan.I'll check the cable tonight and add to this so hold off on responding until then. Thanks!

Ok, thanks. Just checked the items

You are not doing the combo unit, but putting in a standard over the range microwave.

Those are 120 volts 20 amps maximum.

You install a receptacle in the cabinet above them and then plug them into the receptacle

It will not connect to your oven cable.

PLUS, the oven is a standard also, you will need the full 50 amps to supply the receptacle in order to plug the oven in.

Dont know what sales person provided the information, but they are very mistaken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay sounds good. Just what I need to know.

Ok, very good. Glad to assist on the situation.

The models helped greatly to clarify the situation, thanks for those