Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My house has now ,had 20 / Munsterland solat panels -

Customer Question

conected to a JFY SUNTWINS 4000TL ,
By GREENENGINEERING SOLA
The agreenent is for 5000w solar system .
Is this 20 panels to meny for the 4000w inverter ,is the system safe & reliable ?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.

1) If the home has a total PV output of 5kW, then the inverter needs to be rated at a minimum of 5kW and not 4kW. Not safe nor reliable since the inverter can overload.

2) The rule of thumb is that the inverter should always be rated higher in wattage than the total PV system wattage.

3) In addition to having a smaller wattage rated inverter than the total PV system wattage, you are not fully benefiting from the total available PV wattage. 1kW of watts is being wasted. You either need to de-install some panels to get the total PV system wattage below 4kW or you need to increase the inverter size.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!