Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

OK, old house with out of date, added to wiring. Combination

Customer Question

OK, old house with out of date, added to wiring. Combination knob and tube and various updates. Here's my question: I have three outlets upstairs that go off with one breaker. Two are dead ends (that I installed) the other passes power through to those two. All three are off, but when I go to the juncture box between the pass-through and the dead ends, my inductive circuit tester beeps. Idea 1: The pass-through outlet is the first device I can find in the circuit, but it is AFTER a very crowded juncture box that seems to be connected to at least two breakers. Is it possible that someone crossed circuits and connected hot from one breaker to neutral of another (and would that account for the symptoms I am seeing)? Idea 2: The ground circuit (such as it is in this house) has become energized.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Most likely, the wire you are picking the signal up on is in contact with an energized wire. This is pretty common with that type of tester.