Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have 248 volts coming into my house. I have a piece of

Customer Question

I have 248 volts coming into my house . I have a piece of HVAC equipment rated at 253 volts max. I had a problem with the compressor and the manufacturer insists it was an overvoltage issue. I have had 3 licensed electricians at my house and they all believe that the unit should not have had a problem. How do I approach the local utility to get the incoming voltage lowered if necessary?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I agree with the 3 electricians... 248 volts is not likely to be the cause of the problem.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That voltage is well within what would be considered a normal operating voltage for a residential service.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The issue you are likely to run into with the utility provider is that their transformer that feeds your home most likely has other homes connected to it.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If they lower the voltage at that transformer, any other homes fed by it will also see a reduced voltage. If those homes are not having any electrical issues, lowering the voltage at the transformer could create issues at those properties.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That being the case, the utility provider is very unlikely to make any voltage adjustments.