Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have run 30 amp weather approved wire overhead from my

Customer Question

I have run 30 amp weather approved wire overhead from my electrical panel to the garage 50 ft away. I did not use a sub panel inside garage. I have one outside outlet mounted to house where the wire comes out of the house. It reads 125 volts, in my garage the receptacle only reads 8 volts. How do I get proper voltage to the receptacles inside my garage
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) How many conductors in the overhead wire? 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground?
2) Where is the overhead splice point for the circuit? At the house receptacle and then directly to a garage wall switch or receptacle or any splice boxes in between?
3) Does the circuit 1st terminate to a disconnect switch at the garage before proceeding to the garage receptacle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My overhead wires are one hot, neutral and ground. The splice is at the house receptacle and then directly to a garage wall receptacle. No the circuit does not terminate to a switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for confirming.
1) Since the garage is a separate building, the National Electrical Code requires that the building have a "means-of-disconnect" to kill power to the garage. Since the circuit terminates directly to the garage receptacle, you have a code violation as there is no "means-of-disconnect". You need a ON/OFF snap switch installed at the garage prior to terminating on any other wall receptacles and/or garage lighting switches.
2) At the garage receptacle, measure the following:
1st turn the breaker to the OFF position and back the garage receptacle out from the wall but do not disconnect any wires. Turn the breaker back to the ON position.
A) Measure from the brass screw (hot) to the silver screw (neutral)....should measure approximately 120 volts.
B) Measure from the brass screw (hot) to ground (green screw).....should measure approximately 120 volts.
C) Measure from the silver screw (neutral) to ground (green screw).......should measure 0 volts or very close to it.
3) If the branch circuit wires are inserted into the receptacle back-stab insert holes, re-wire them to the side terminal screws.
4) Is the house receptacle or the garage receptacle or the circuit breaker a GFCI?
Reply back to me with the 3 voltage measurements.........Thanks.......Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on eastern standard time and its after midnight. I will have the answer to your questions tomorrow afternoon. Will I be able to speak to you by phone.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I'm on CST and also getting late here.
I will be logged on the website tomorrow, so just reply back to me like you have been doing. No need to create another question, just come back to this same question and we can take it from there.
Yes, if you want, we can discuss over the phone tomorrow. Let me know and I can send you an additional services offering for the telephone call tomorrow.
In the meantime, have a good evening and we'll catch up with you tomorrow....Thanks.......Kevin!