Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Flickering lights again today. Our electrician inspected the

Customer Question

Flickering lights again today. Our electrician inspected the panel yesterday. Yet, today we are experiencing "flickering lights" still again. Called electrician again. He said the panel was OK so the problem must be external. Natl Grid tech came last week and said some lines might have been "bumped" during recent extensive construction work. How do we learn what the actual problem really is and how to we find a solution?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Flickering lights suggest a loose connection either at the customer premise equipment or at the electrical utility equipment.
2) Did the electrician confirm the proper torquing of the Service Entrance wires at the panel main breaker lugs, neutral bus bar? Did any of the lugs show signs of arcing?
Was the panel main breaker checked that it is not loose? Any signs of arcing on the panel hot bus bars?
Is the electrical service overhead or underground?
3) Did the electrical utility pull the meter and confirm proper torquing on their LINE side connection and at the LOAD side of the meter?
Has the electrical utility checked the connections at their transformer?
4) Any of your neighbors also experiencing flickering lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to give the 5 Star rating but I must have done something wrong, sorry. Much appreciated. Electrician will follow your suggestions. Thank you very much, ***** *****
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the replies Jim.
1) In service issues like this, the problem is often a loose wire termination either at the meter lugs or at the main breaker lugs where the service entrance wires connect at. The panel and the meter can will both have a torque value and the lugs must be properly torqued to ensure a proper connection.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!