AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a 1/4 hp 18 RPM 115V Dayton AC Parallel Phase Gear

Customer Question

I have a 1/4 hp 18 RPM 115V Dayton AC Parallel Phase Gear Motor Model 1LPP5. It is working in only one direction when we hook up the hot to the switch. It only goes in one direction no matter the position of the switch. Any Ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

What type of switch are using for the motor to reverse the rotation? Make and Model?

How many wires do you have run to the motor from the switch?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of switch are using for the motor to reverse the rotation? I do not know the make and model of the switch. I should have taken a picture. The switch rotates left and right and is a momentary type, springing back to center. The backside of the switch has several wires. I believe two go out and two come in with a couple of Jumpers. As far as I can tell only one incoming black has power.How many wires do you have run to the motor from the switch? I am not sure. I think just a red black and green. Perhaps a white. I will go take a picture tomorrow and let you know. There are several wires running to a 110 volt relay (Omron LY2 110/120VAC). I will get back to you through this forum or if you prefer, through e-mail at***@******.***.Let me know and we can continue,Thanks

Ok,

There should be a make and model on the switch.

If you have a relay, that is an odd setup, not sure why they used one.

Get as much information as possible and post i there, we will see where it leads

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I went back. The switch is a type KA-1, class 9001 Series H. I believe it might be made by Square D. I have attached several photos to help you see what I am dealing with. I think the relay is being used to reduce the load on the switch but it does not make sense to me either as the hot wire still seems to come from the switch anyway.

Ok, thanks for the information and pictures.

Lets back up a minute and get some other info.

What happened here?

The motor runs one direction, correct?

But why? Did the motor fail and you changed to a different one?

It just stopped working the other direction?

How did the situation get as it is now? Sequence of events are needed, so I can understand a little more of what took place and the direction we need to go.

The switch has the contacts on the rear and they can be NC or NO and how the switch is wired will make a huge difference, and I cannot tell from this end with pictures.

Need a sketch or diagram to know how it is wired and the contact configuration installed on the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I came in on this job blind. The previous electrician had disconnected the hot wire to the switch. My guess is, the gate was closing constantly and popping the breaker. He replaced the relay, reset the breaker and it still kept closing. He then disconnected the hot wire from the switch. If I bypass the switch by touching the hot incoming wire to the clockwise motor wire at the switch, then it closes. If I do the same to the Counter Clock Wise wire at the switch, nothing happens. My next step is to do the same at the motor but I do not understand where to hook up the wires. There are three wires going into the side of motor, then all of those you see pictured on the back of the motor. If I could figure out how to test the motor winding to see if there is a short in the motor, it would help. My guess is the wiring for the CCW is shorted to the CW somewhere along the line. Once I can find the CW and CCW lines and test the motor, I will find where the short is.

Ok,

It does sound like there is a problem on the motor based on the information. Do not of any other reason to disconnect the power.

But , in case something else, see the picture below on how these little gear motors change directions.

They dont have normal wire leads, but terminal spots inside the wiring compartment.

Worked on a number of these, they are trick to reverse because you have to swap wire positions on the stabs, but with the right control, it is no problem

I suspect that is the reason for the relay, to flip flop connections.

See the picture below, where I did a Pool cover for a customer.

Had to use a second switch for power after you set whether it was too open or close.

Once you set the direction, you used the power switch to accomplish the function and then turn off power.

It was the simplest way which they preferred over making extensive connections with relays etc.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I understand this right, I see there are four tabs in the photo of the back of the motor. Do I need to switch all four?. There are three other wires coming directly into the motor from the side. What are these for?

Ok,

Thought the diagram was sufficient to show how they wire.

What is it that is not clear?

You take the red wire off its terminal

You take the black wire off its terminal

You then run 6 wires to the motor

2 of them connect to where it shows L1 and L2 that is power

then 2 connect to the red and black wires

then 2 connect to the stab connections where you removed the red and black wires

Now, you flip flop the red and black wire connections on those stabs and that is what changes the motor direction.

When you apply the power it runs which direction you have chosen by the red and black wire connections

As far knowing what someone wired to the motor, I cannot say without seeing them and knowing where they originate.