Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Changed breaker in electrical panel 't have any GFCI outlets

Customer Question

changed breaker in electrical panel don't have any GFCI outlets but still no power in the room what else can it be?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Did you replace any wall receptacles or wall switches or lighting fixtures in the room or did you just loose power in the room?
2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or better yet, an AC voltmeter available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) just lost power in the room
2)yes I do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello are you still there
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for the replies.
1) More than likely, you have a loose wire somewhere within the branch circuit that has caused loss of power to that room.
2) For starters, I suggest trying the Wiggle Procedure shown below. Sometimes this quick test procedure works and at other times it may not work. But still worth a shot at trying.
3) If you have a meter, set it to the AC voltage setting and the 200 volt range. Measure voltage or lack of voltage at all of the dead wall receptacles. This should pinpoint which wire is loose......ie...... will either be an open hot or an open neutral.
With the breaker in the ON position, place 1 meter probe to the long slot (neutral) and the other meter probe to the short slot (hot). You probably will not measure any voltage here.
Next, repeat the same but this time measure from hot short slot) to the round ground hole and see if you get 120 volts.
Next, repeat the same by measuring from the long slot (neutral) to the round ground hole. This should measure 0 volts if wired correctly.
Wiggle Procedure:
You have a circuit with dead outlets and maybe some dead lights on it or you’re experiencing flickering on a circuit. You will need a 2 wire voltage tester to check the outlet. A Multimeter or a Volt/Con are suggested. I prefer the Volt/Con because there are no settings to make, it does continuity and is audible. Success begins with knowing what you’re looking for.
1] No voltage reading between the hot and the neutral or ground indicates an open hot.
2] No reading between the hot and the neutral but 120V between the hot and ground and 120V between the neutral and ground indicates an open neutral.
3] No continuity between the neutral and ground – Check for tripped GFCI device first
4] If all the branch circuit breaker are on you have a bad connection on the hot or neutral wires. The usual cause is a bad connection, either a termination on a device or connection in a wire nut. Over the years I’ve found the easiest way to locate the opening needing examination and correction is to wiggle the devices.
5] The first step in this exercise is to get a lamp to act as an alert. Make sure the lamp works and in the on position. You may also use something like a vacuum cleaner or blow dryer, for an audible alert. Don’t use anything electronic, like a radio.
6] Plug it into a dead outlet.
7] Now with a cube tester or any plug you will need to go to all the dead outlets and any live outlets in the area, insert the plug and wiggle the device side to side slightly. Watch the test lamp or listen for the other alerts as you wiggle the devices. If the loose or bad connection is present the wiggle action may make it contact briefly and the lamp or the other things will alert you . Having found the suspected outlet all that is left is to correct the bad connection.
If the device is a push back wired device, this probably is the cause of the circuit failure. All wires must be terminated under the screws. Also you should never put more than one wire under a screw. This troubleshooting procedure works in most cases and won’t have you open boxes un-necessarily.
Keep in mind that the problem is in one of two places in the circuit, either in the first dead outlet or the live outlet just ahead of it.
Reply back to me and let me know the results and we can take it from there.......Thanks.......Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have tried the wiggle method and changed broken outlets one bedroom reads wires reversed now what do I do next
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies.
1) You mentioned that you had a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter?
2) What are the voltages that you measure on the dead receptacles?
If you have a meter, set it to the AC voltage setting and the 200 volt range. Measure voltage or lack of voltage at all of the dead wall receptacles. This should pinpoint which wire is loose......ie...... will either be an open hot or an open neutral.
Next, repeat the same but this time measure from hot (short slot) to the round ground hole and see if you get 120 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not happy with ur service I've tried all of your methods and I still have no power in the rooms I want my money back
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
You never replied back to me on the voltage measurements. You mentioned that you had a voltmeter. Therefore, I am unable to provide direction as to the problem.
I guess you expect the electrical fairy to just magically fix the problem without going thru any troubleshooting procedures.....Sorry, it just doesn't work that way:)
Sorry that you are unhappy with my service. I'm also not happy with your lack of responses to my questions.
Therefore, I have opted out of the question and you can work with another electrical expert if you choose as they will ask you the identical questions as I did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your bad attitude you are not professional n I want my money refunded