Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Solar question.... I have a few different size Renogy solar

Customer Question

Solar question....
I have a few different size Renogy solar panels (you can see them on amazon or similar). Can I chain them together and the wire the last on in the chain to my battery?
One of the panels has a charge controller - should that be the last one in the chain?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Will you be wiring the PV panels in series to increase the voltage or wired in parallel to increase the amps or a combination of each?

2) How many DC volts is each panel?

3) How many amps is each panel?

4) How many DC volts is the Charge Controller?

5) How many amps is the Charge Controller rated for?

I need to know all of these answers before I can provide an answer as they are all dependant upon the desired wiring configuration and the size of the CC?

Let me know what you have and reply back to me....Thanks.........Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

The two panels are:

http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Portable-Folding-Battery-Charging/dp/B00JX3XKFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439774959&sr=8-1&keywords=renogy+solar+60w

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFCNFRM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

The first one has a charge controller built it. By following the links you can see the specs for everything.

I want to maximize the charge into my battery...

thanks

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies and the links Harley.

1) Yes, the output of the Charge Controller is always wired to the battery or battery bank.

2) If you will be wiring multiple panels in parallel, the Charge Controller will also be connected in parallel to the battery.

3) Yes, you are correct. The panels will be daisy chained together. The panel with the built-in Charge Controller will be last panel and this will be the one connected to the battery or battery bank.

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks - so it doesn't matter that they are a 60W panel and a 100W panel? the 60W has the charge controller built in so I'll use that as the last panel in the series. I thin that charge controller is a 10a - does that mean that is the most that can flow through it?

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

1) Depends on how you wire the panels.

If the panels will be wired to form a parallel circuit, then the final nominal voltage output will be 12 volts since they are all 12 volt panels. When panels are wired in parallel, the output voltage remains the same and is not additive. If all wired in parallel, the nominal output voltage for all panels will still be 12 volts at the input of the controller.

However, the amperage (current) becomes additive when connecting panels in parallel. The total current of the PV system must be less than the amp rating of the Charge Controller if all panels will be connected in parallel.

2) Yes, if the Controller is rated @ 10 amps, then 10 amps is the maximum amount of current that can be connected to it from the total strings of panels.

3) The wattage rating of the panels don't matter. What matters is the DC voltage rating, the amp rating of the panels and the circuit configuration of all the panels........ie.... wired in series or parallel or in a combination of series/parallel.

4) Panels wired in series will increase the output voltage and the total amps remain the same.

5) Panels wired in parallel will increase the output amperage and provide a faster re-charge time to the battery or battery bank. Total amps are additive, yet the output voltage remains the same. Thus, the opposite of wiring panels in series.

6) Panels wired in a combo circuit will do both.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Thanks............Kevin!