Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a fluorescent fixture on the ceiling in my kitchen.

Customer Question

I have a fluorescent fixture on the ceiling in my kitchen. It has two three way switch is going to it. Recently I have to flick the light switch on and off multiple times to get the fluorescent light to light. I recently within the last day or two replaced the fluorescent fixture with a brand new one and it still does the same thing. I've been replaced both 3 Way switches with brand new ones and it still does the same thing any suggestions?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. The description of the problem is usually a bad ground connection in the circuit and to the fixture. A fluorescent fixture needs a ground plane to excite the lamps when starting. Check your grounding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I had the issue with the old light fixture and replaced it and the switches, where do I check the ground? Breaker box?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Check grounds in switch boxes and fixture. Make sure tr hey a tightly connected together and in the fixture, that it is attached on the green screw. If you have a 2 wire voltage tester, check the hot wire to ground for 120V.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the 3 way switch there are 2 black, one red, and one bare copper. Which is hot?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

With light switched on, the hot is the black screw on the switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree with checking connections but with the fixture and switches being brand new and installed in the last 24 hours it seems its unlikely that this is the problem that the old fixture had also.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Replacing devices did't change bad connections wire to wire. Also, how did you terminate the wires on the switches? Did you use the screws or the push back terminations?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When installing the switches, I cut off the old switches, stripped the wires, and screwed down the wires. This has been the issue with other switches in this house being pushed into switches and becoming loose.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Then you know why I asked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Redid all connections and wire nuts on switches and fixture. Same problem.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Test for 120V at the light feed.
Hot to neutral
Hot to ground
Let me know the readings