How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ProGrade Your Own Question
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 495
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
ProGrade is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What equipment do I need to covert 3phase 208 volt 200amp

Customer Question

What equipment do I need to covert 3phase 208 volt 200amp service to 460 volts 300 amp service to my manufacturing space?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using
1) A step-up transformer made for this purpose would be used
2) You cannot get 300 Amps out of the stepped up transformer as you only have 200A most available.
A service/panel upgRade on the supply side to increase capacity to 300 Amps.
On a related side can find a lot of reading about simply back feeding a 480 x 208 step-down transformer. I recommend that that you do not try this unless the manufacturer approves of it. An overriding principle of the National Electrical Code is that all electrical equipment be installed per the manufacturers recommendations. Violation of that section can be hazardous.
There are purpose built transformers for the application in question.

Related Electrical Questions