ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

What equipment do I need to covert 3phase 208 volt 200amp

Customer Question

What equipment do I need to covert 3phase 208 volt 200amp service to 460 volts 300 amp service to my manufacturing space?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-prograde
1) A step-up transformer made for this purpose would be used
2) You cannot get 300 Amps out of the stepped up transformer as you only have 200A most available.
A service/panel upgRade on the supply side to increase capacity to 300 Amps.
On a related side note...you can find a lot of reading about simply back feeding a 480 x 208 step-down transformer. I recommend that that you do not try this unless the manufacturer approves of it. An overriding principle of the National Electrical Code is that all electrical equipment be installed per the manufacturers recommendations. Violation of that section can be hazardous.
There are purpose built transformers for the application in question.