ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

ELECTRICIAN-TEMPORARY CLIMATE CONTROL- I rent & would...

Customer Question

ELECTRICIAN-TEMPORARY CLIMATE CONTROL- I rent & would... TEMPORARY CLIMATE CONTROL- I rent & would like to know what to ask for & cost for the following: I have a SUNROOM(ALL WINDOWS) with 1 ONLY outlet- Need more power to operate an A/C, fax/printer
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi MDW, welcome back to JA. My name is Ken.
Is this a house? Is it on a concrete slab (is there a crawl space)? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a house?- yes
Is it on a concrete slab (is there a crawl space)? --no
just a florida sunroom in florida
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
What do you have in mind for AC...a window unit or a mini-split system? Sounds like the only option for adding power would be from the outside, conduit on the surface ideally from the main panel or underground from the main panel. Is the main panel on an exterior wall?
With this info I can provide some details on how to proceed. Another less desirable option would be to tap onto an existing circuit at an outlet on an exterior wall. Ideally, a circuit that is not heavily loaded that could support the additional load.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far, I have removed the refrigerator from the only outlet & added a heavy duty extension to a/c it's not shutting off now, but not really cooling (12hrs)
Do I need to add another addition to circuit box???? or just convert it to a higher power ???Main panel in garage on exterior wall
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
If it's not cooling the room, the unit may be too small. If it is running but not tripping breaker it is not the circuit. However, I do not recommend long term use of cord. It will cause problems & hazards. With a larger unit I'm sure you would need a dedicated circuit from the panel in the garage, possibly a 240 dedicated circuit depending on size of new unit if you upgrade it. It requires much more cooling in the sun room with additional windows & heat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dedicated circuit from the panel in the garage, possibly a 240 dedicated circuit - only solution??? what is cost to install?
room size 15X10'
Everstar portable air conditioner with following:
volt-115
hz-60
watts-1345
amps-12
BTU/H -1100
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
What is the distance from the panel in garage to location of new outlet & what general part of Florida, north, central, or south? With this I can give an estimate as I'm in sunshine state as well. I am also checking on size unit required to cool a room that size. Looks like your unit is 11,000 BTU not 1100, right? Is the exhaust get vented to outside area?
Just checked, unit is more than adequate to cool a room that size. Does it blow cool air right at the unit? If not it may not be working properly. Has to be exhausted to outside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is exhausted outside, panel in garage is exact opposite from room....garage on front side of house,,, sunroom back of house
yes it vents into room
live in Hernando Beach, fl. 1 hr. from Tampa
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
The cost of a new, permanent, circuit could be as high as $1,200-$1,500 in that area. Get three quotes from licensed electrical contractors that have good references to be safe. Obviously, this will allow you to get off of the extension cord. The unit that you have is definitely large enough for the room but must not be cooling properly. If the filter is clean, you would need to get an AC Tech to look at it. Since it's a portable unit, you may be able to take it to their shop to save the cost of an onsite visit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
However, I do not recommend long term use of cord. It will cause problems & hazards....??????
So even if I repair a/c it's still dangerous to continue on heavy duty extension cord?????
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, it is not a long term solution and will cause problems over time. The heavy duty cord is an excellent temporary choice but the weak points are the connections at each end. They will not last over time creating problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cost of moving outlet near A/C (14' & outer wall near window) to avoid using extension cord- assuming a/c is repaired
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
$300