AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a hampton bay Altura ceiling fan. This was in the

Customer Question

Hello Jason. I have a hampton bay Altura ceiling fan. This was in the master bedroom for a new home I just purchased. The home is only 2 years old so the fan is new. I recently purchased a new light kit specific to the model of ceiling fan. Instructions were simple enough, connect blue wire in light kit to black wire on ceiling fan and white wire to white wire. Everything seems fairly straight forward and matches the instructions and drawing in the light kit manual. Unfortunately the light will not turn on when switch is flipped at the door or the light switch pull down chain or the remote button for light. Any thoughts? Thank you for your time.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester for troubleshooting?

How many wall switches do you have for the fan?

Can you access the ceiling canopy where the fan attaches to the box to review the wiring?

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Tommy,Thanks for the response. I do not have a tester unfortunately. I have 2 switches. 1 for the fan and 1 theoretically for the light. I also have a remote that is supposed to operate both. I do not have access to ceiling canopy. I would have to remove the ceiling I assuming to get to it. All I can see is the wiring coming out of the fan which is the wires available for a light kit, the reverse module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I meant I would have to remove the ceiling fan to get to the wiring above it. Are you thinking the wiring for the light might not be hot since when the builder installed the fan there was not light kit?

Ok, thanks for the information.

Since you have a remote, the fan can be wired in several ways with 2 switches.

1. The fan and light are both on the remote, then only ONE switch would operate both, since the switch would only cut power to the receiver.

2. You could have the fan only on the remote and the light on the second wall switch

3. You could have the light on the remote and the fan on the second wall switch.

It all depends on how it is wired to the receiver in the light box.

To access the wiring, the fan does not have to be removed if it is hanging on a pipe.

You simply drop the cover on the light box and you will see the house wires and the receiver.

I suspect, that either they did not connect the light wire going down into the fan in the ceiling, or else the receiver may be failing.

In order to find out, need to access the wires and receiver.

A standard wiring diagram is below to understand how they would both be on the receiver.

The other picture shows how the receiver is slid into the hanger bracket.

The key will be, are the black and blue wires to the fan connected to the receiver or does one connect only.

Fans normally have black and blue at the ceiling wiring, but sometimes black and black/white

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the info and I will try and look at the wiring tonight. I do know the fan works off one of the switches on the wall because it comes on when that switch is flipped. When I flip the other switch, nothing happens so I assumed that was for the light. I think we may be on to something here so I will check tonight and get back to you.thanks again.Layne

Ok, Layne

Keep me posted on the findings and we can continue if needed.

Hopefully it will be one of those obvious one once you drop the cover at the ceiling and see the wiring