Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Installing a ceiling fan and the current ceiling light

Customer Question

installing a ceiling fan and the current ceiling light fixture has multiple wires. On each side there is a white, black and ground. The original setup had each corresponding wire connected to the light fixture so there were a total of 3 white, black and ground. I only need white to white, black to black and ground to ground for my ceiling fan, so can I cap one half of the wires and tuck away?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. The wires are all needed. The extra set may be to a switch or to other outlets. A switch would be my guess. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? If so, what kind?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a voltage tester. That is fine I will be able to work with this I will just need to do some trimming to make room for all the guts to get stuffed up there. Was hoping I could avoid that to have more space.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Is there a black and white wire connected together ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the wires all corresponded to each other when connected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would assume then that if there is an outlet on that circuit it would also be controlled by the light switch and that is why they would have to remain connected otherwise that would be a dead outlet?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
That indicates it is feeding another outlet. You'll need to leave them as they were.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome