ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

No power to outlet. there are 2 cables entering this outlet

Customer Question

no power to outlet. there are 2 cables entering this outlet box. black wires from both cables are joined together. white wires are attached to one side of the outlet. one of the cables has a red wire, this red wire is attached to the other side if the outlet. this 3 wire cable goes to another outlet box, this other box contains 2- 3 wire cables. both red wires are joined together, white and black wires are connected to opposite sides of this outlet box.
there is a lite switch on this circuit that operates an overhead lite that works properly.
the second 3 wire cable goes to the ceiling and is not visible with out removing sheet rock.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-prograde
With the configuration that you describe, one half of each outlet should be switched the other half should be hot. Is there another switch in the room?