Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have three GFCI pluga that are not functioning in my

Customer Question

I have three GFCI pluga that are not functioning in my kitchen. I will not fool with this myself and will call an electrician on Monday but want to be assured that there is no danger. There is no electricity in any of the three outlets but only one has a yellow light on and will not reset.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) In the interim until an electrician can be contacted, I suggest to turn the branch circuit breaker that controls the GFCI receptacles to the OFF position and leave the breaker OFF till the electrician arrives on site. By leaving the breaker in the OFF position, this will ensure that no danger is present since power will be disconnected to the circuit.
2) In cases like this, it is possible that there is a loose wire connection inside one of the wall boxes that is causing the problem. A wire may have become loose on the GFCI or a splice may have become loose.
Another possibility and depending upon how the GFCI's were originally wired, you may have 1 GFCI receptacle that is faulty and is wired to the other 2 GFCI's, causing those 2 GFCI's to not work and reset.
One of the above is typically the problem found when troubleshooting and making the necessary repairs on this type of trouble.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.