Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I live in Florida and we typically have daily heavy

Customer Question

I live in Florida and we typically have daily heavy downpours. I found that I have a crack in my stucco which covers a block wall.
Where the crack is outside, the wall around electrical switch hot. I turned off the power and found rust on the switches. Removed switches (found entire box was damp) and capped wires. Sealed the crack on the outside wall and now the box is dry.
Would water that came into the box through the wet wall cause the wires to heat up. The circuit breaker never switched off and the only reason we checked this was we spotted a drip coming from under the switch plate.
The switch plate is metal so would that cause the heat? I don't want to assume that fixing the crack, thus stopping the water for entering the outlet box, and replacing the switches is the solution. Should I remove the box and tract the wires?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. The crack in the stucco may contribute to the moisture in the wall and outlet but the coating on the entire wall is also contributory. Clean the box and paint the interior with a self priming spray paint, caulk the crack with an elastomeric cault, paint the exterior the next time with an elastomeric paint made for stucco, install a new device on fresh stripped wire, cover the box with. A plastic exterior plate. If a receptacle use a GFCI with an inuse cover. Taymac makes one that extends when needed and doesn't look out of place, caulk around the cover. I'm in Florida, renovating a home and totally understand your concerns. The heating of the cover, no doubt was due to the corrosion on the terminations. Seal the box and end the problem