Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Over the past few days I have been assisting a friend with

Customer Question

Over the past few days I have been assisting a friend with installing her new washer and dryer. The washer hoses leaked initially but were easy to fix. However, the dryer was more a problem.
The first thing we noticed was that her dryer had a three prong plug and her house had a four prong outlet. So, we went to Home Depot and bought a four prong plug to install into the dryer. We did this, however I don't think I attached the ground wire correctly. When she plugged the dryer in, the outlet sparked and now, after regrounding the four prong plug, the dryer does not turn on when plugged in.
I don't know whether the outlet blew out or if the dryer is broken. I checked the circuit breaker and reset the two breakers used for the dryer but to no avail.
How can I check the dryer outlet and if it is broken, what should I do to fix it?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I was planning to buy one later today or tomorrow in order to test the outlet.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

You'll need one to troubleshoot the problem. I suggest a Volt/Con type tester. Easy to use, no settings required for different tests.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thanks for the recommendation. Will this conversation still be active for me to consult you once I have been able to to test the outlet?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it remains open. Come back as you have been so far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,I was finally able to go back to my friend's place. I checked the dryer outlet with the multimeter and it showed no voltage, as well as about half of the outlets in the kitchen. I tried resetting the breaker's for the dryer's once more and it still didn't work.How do I proceed from here?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You need to check main breaker. Test each breaker in the panel, hot to neutral. Any one not reading voltage reset. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Mike,I haven't had a chance to go over to my friend's place over the last few weeks, but she told me that she was able to reset the main breaker and that her kitchen outlets are working again. Unfortunately, the dryer still does not work. I'd like to go over there to check the dryer outlet with my multimeter and/or check the connections in the dryer, but I don't know when I will next be over.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, come back when you can.