Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

On a residential Murray electric panel I need to change the

Customer Question

on a residential Murray electric panel I need to change the Main Circuit Braker how can I shut of the Juice so I can safely change the circuit Braker?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) Check the exterior meter can enclosure. Some meter cans may also have a main disconnect breaker.
If no main disconnect breaker located in the exterior meter can and if the Murray panel is the main service panel and not a downstream sub-panel, then the exterior meter must be pulled out from the meter socket enclosure in order to disconnect power to the main breaker.
Extracting the meter will disconnect the utility "LINE" side from the home "LOAD" side within the meter socket enclosure.
2) Keep in mind that in most municipalities and the local utility, it is against the law for anyone other than the local electrical utility company or a licensed electrician to pull the meter. Some utilities have been known to post a fine and possible arrest if the utility has not been notified and the meter seal is cut off. Many of the modern meters may also contain a utility lock to prevent removal.
For safety reasons and to also avoid any legal issues with the utility, I recommend that you contact them and ask if they can pull the meter for you.
The electrical utility is the owner of the exterior meter and they will consider it as tampering.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Just a follow-up on your question.
1) Did you contact the local electrical utility and if so, were they able to accommodate you?