Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

We're looking to convent an industrial condo into a studio

Customer Question

We're looking to convent an industrial condo into a studio theatre. This involves a lot of electrical work to connect lights, dimmer packs, etc. We're currently putting together a budget to understand the renovation costs.
We'd like to get an estimate of the hours involved for the electrical work. Does anyone have experience doing this, and can help? We're located in Ontario, Canada. Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be glad to assist you. Your question lacks specifics as to size of the service, square footage of building, number and sizes of the circuits required. A sketch with dimensions would be very helpful. Otherwise any number given is a shot in the dark and would not be close to reality.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
The entire condo is around 3,600 square feet. The actual studio space is 1300 square feet. The instruments that'll be in the building are attached in the file. I've added wattage where I can. I've also attached a sketch of the space. Please let me know if you need any additional information.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

On the equipment list I count 115 Light fixtures - correct?

I don't see anything for receptacles.

What is the wall and ceiling finish?

What is the ceiling height?

Second half of equipment sheet lists cables. What do you intend for the electrician to do with them?

What is the size of the existing service?

How many positions for breakers?

You didn't mention any demo required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mistake. I've updated the electrical list with a new file. The other file was uploaded in error.To your questions:- Around 115 light fixtures.
- The ceiling currently has trusses - standard industrial. On this, we will have a pipe grid where all the lights will be attached to. As I understand it, the light controller connects to dimmers located in a dimmer cabinet. This dimmer cabinet is connected to the power. Wire is routed from the dimmers in the dimmer cabinet to receptacles located on the pipe grid.
- The existing service is 3 phase 200 A.
- I'm not sure about the breakers.What do you mean by demo required? You mean demolition?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
is there demolition required?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will need some renovation and changes. This will certainly be need for the electrical wiring. However, we'd want to run the electrical wiring like this this image.http://www.ebielectric.com/sites/24400/photos/projet-conjoint-ebi-emstech-shiploader-qit-sorel-qc-4.jpgThis means most of the wiring will be on trays.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.

With the information at hand and the many unknowns, I'm sorry but I'm going to opt out. I wouldn't be able to give a factual answer to your question. You would be better off getting bids from local electrical contractors. Good luck with your project.

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Here are some budgetary numbers that you can use:
2) Figure that electrician labor rates can vary anywhere from $65 to $125 per hour depending upon your location, Union labor rates will exceed $100 per hour.
3) I would plan on a minimum of 1 hour per outlet opening to de-install any existing light fixture or receptacle and it's associated conduit.
4) An approximate labor to re-install such lighting fixtures and/or receptacles will involve a minimum of another 1 hour or 1.5 hours per opening.
If high lift work is required for the ceiling, add on another 50% for hourly labor time to compensate for up and down the high lift for each opening or lighting fixture or receptacle.
5) The wiring of the dimmer cabinet can take another 6 to 8 hours depending upon the quantity of lighting circuits.
6) If any sub-panels are required, add on a minimum of 8 hours.
7) As the previous expert has already recommended, obtain 3 firm bid quotes from locally licensed electrical contractors. Throw out the low ball bid as the contractor does not know how to properly bid an electrical project. The next 2 bids should be relatively close. Pick and choose the contractor that you feel most comfortable with and obtain 3 references from each contractor.
8) The general rule in any construction project is the 60/40 rule......ie......60% of the costs will be for labor and 40% of the costs will be for material. Once you know the approximate labor costs, now you can calculate the approximate material costs.
9) Don't forget the fire alarm and smoke detector devices, allow at least another 1 hour minimum for each pull station, strobe, siren, etc.
10) Also figure in anther 1 hour for each CAT 5E ethernet cable for internet access. A patch panel will require another 15 minutes per cable location to include punchdowns, toning, and testing per cable loc. If a wall or floor mount patch panel, add at minimum of at least 1 hour for install time. This does not include the IT labor for configuring the ethernet ports.
11) Total up the quantity of electrical openings (each receptacle, lighting fixture and wall switch) and add another 20% to the total to compensate for any unknowns and do the math. This will get you a number in the ballpark (approximate pricing only).
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!