Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I'm trying to add/ move central vac outlets.I have the

Customer Question

I'm trying to add/ move central vac outlets.I have the subfloor open and I can see the vacuum tube and wire coming right under where I need it. Can I cut the wire with scissors and pigtail the wires? Do the wire joins need to be in a box or any such thing?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Since the wires for a Central Vac system are low voltage (less than 120 volts), any splices are not required to be in a junction box. However,

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you are splicing the wires, I would definitely keep the splices in accessible locations.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

This is for future servicing purposes. If you ever have a splice come loose, you'll definitely want access to them, in order to make the necessary repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, they can be under a cabinet on a plywood subfloor - Is that accessible enough?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sure. As long as you can remove the cabinet to get to them.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you are open to it, you could make a removable bottom for the cabinet (just a portion of the bottom removable, to get to the splices).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess anything can be removed. What would be the need access it?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You may never need to get to it. However, splices are known to be failure points for wires. I would try to avoid the frustration of trying to get to an inaccessible splice, if possible. In those cases, new wire is required, to bypass the failed splice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right, I'm gonna need to think about this for a few minutes.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No problem. It's not that the splices are required to be accessible. I'm just trying to prevent any possibility of future grief for you, if one of the splices should fail.