Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I tried this circuit breaker finder on multiple outlets with

Customer Question

I tried this circuit breaker finder on multiple outlets with no success. It would not light up or beep at all at the breaker box. Any idea why? My box is a little older...does that make a difference? Klein Tools ET300 Digital Circuit Breaker Finder https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LHJSY8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_kplVvb9S1J06M
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

I assume you have a known charged fresh battery in the unit, correct?

Do you get anything out the unit when slowly moving up and down across the breakers?

Do a quick check on the unit:

Plug the transmitter into a good receptacle and then slowly pass the receiver in front of the transmitter.

Does that give a strong indication?

If so, move to another receptacle in the same room with the receiver unit only and see if you can pick up the signal.

Normally a room will have multiple receptacles on the same circuit so need to see if the unit works at all in closer proximity.

Let me know and we can continue,

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is good, the unit is brand new. It did give a strong indication when I had the receiver next to the transmitter. The receiver did not give ANY type of indication at the breaker. I tried the receiver at a receptacle adjacent to the transmitter receptacle with no indication.

Ok, thanks.

With the transmitter plugged into a receptacle in a living area, whether bedroom or other.

Move around the ENTIRE room from receptacle to receptacle, not just one next to it.

There will be others on the same circuit, just do not which ones at this time.

Then move the transmitter to another room

Then try the kitchen receptacles as they are much closer together with their wiring.

See if you can pick up a signal

Make sure the receiver is dialed up as high as it can go if it has level setting

Make sure the receiver is on a flat plane on the face of the receptacle not on the side