AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I was adding a gfi receptacle in an unfinished basement to come to code there was a hot r

Customer Question

i was adding a gfi receptacle in an unfinished basement to come to code
there was a hot red wire that I was able to shut off from the service panel and two white wires on the common connection to the receptacle. when adding the gfi, I touched one of the white, what I thought to be a common, and got a shock
why would a hot be attached to the common of this receptacle? and the other white also on the common of the receptacle?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Thanks for the information and details.It sounds like you have a shared neutral on a multiwire branch circuit.So, even though the breaker is off on the red, there is still current flow through the whites which go to other locations powered by the black wire which is leaving the box.Look in the back of the box and see if you find black wires connected together,Let me know and then we can continue, to get the situation squared away for safety.
To avoid time, posting a standard multi wire circuit.Based on the information, it appears this is what you have now except you probably have single breakers not joined together to provide the protection needed.Look it over and any questions just reply,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are two blacks pigtailed.
Ok,Did you see the diagram on how that circuit should be changed to avoid the problem of the whites creating a shock hazard?