ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

Had a lightning strike near house. Have power to control box

Customer Question

Had a lightning strike near house. Have power to control box of above ground septic, but motor does not engage when attempting to operate manually with a switch and no alarms (lights or bells) activated? Also a new circuit to kitchen (stove, refridge, and counter outlets and lights ((on two GFI)) does not work even after replacing the breakers in box)?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-prograde
It is likely that the pump control/pump was damaged.
Do you have a multi-meter for testing?
Are the kitchen circuits on GFCI Breakers or GFCI Outlets?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can get my hands on a multi-meter for testing. The kitchen circuit in question is on CFCI Outlets.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Great, that's a plus for the outlets. If each out has power but will not reset, it should be replaced. It is common for the electronics to be damaged.
When you get the multi-meter, open the control, turn the switch to manual and verify that there is power coming out of the switch. If not, the control is defective but the pump should also be tested. When in the automatic mode, power goes first to one side of the pump float, if the level is calling for the pump, power would return from the float to power the pump. Please let me know when you have tested it to this point and if needed, we can continue. Another possibility before you borrow the tester is to open the pump control box. You may see damage and not need to test it further. If so, the control should be replaced carefully noting the wiring before removing to be able to mimic it on the new control.