Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Georgia Power Co. called and said they could tell from their

Customer Question

Georgia Power Co. called and said they could tell from their central monitoring site that our home meter box was over heating and melting. They gave us 3 days to install new meter or they would turn off our power. Well that was over a month ago and now they seem to have forgotten about us. Independent electrician without our permission installed new large unsightly meter box on front of our house with a 4 foot pole on roof. We have since been arguing with GA Power about other sites for meter. The only option that would eliminate unsightly pole on top of house is to run an underground line to back of house which will cost $5,000. Does this sound right? Is consumer to shoulder all of the cost of new box?? How do we know if new box is really needed?? What are other people doing about ugly pole on top of house and the much larger new meters?? We have a small ranch house and the only aesthetically pleasing option appears to be a very expensive underground line. Thanks, *****
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Unfortunately the Utility has the final word on service installations and their requirements. The cost of an underground installation depends on the length of the run from the pole to the house. $5,000.00 seems high for the average installation if it is under 100 ft in length. I suggest getting at least 3 quoted for the work. The 2 closest will be around the real price, whether they are both high or both low.