Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Replaced the remote control ceiling fan and it will

Customer Question

replaced the remote control for the ceiling fan and it will not function. please advise.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Did you replace only the handheld transmitter or the fan receiver or both components?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the hand held
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was working with the old hand held until the battery recepticals rusted.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the confirmation. 1) I see that the fan is a Hampton Bay brand. Unfortunately, the HB brand fan receivers often fail prematurely more than any other ceiling fan brand. Very possible that the receiver is the problem. You need to purchase and replace both of the components together. If the receiver is not defective, then an exact replacement (not a universal) transmitter) can be used. The handheld transmitter needs to communicate with the fan receiver. If not a matching pair, the fan will not work. 2) Where is the receiver located at? Inside the ceiling fan canopy cover or inside the fan motor housing area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
inside the canopy cover. i can see the switches through a small slot.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, thanks for confirming. 1) As I mentioned in my previous reply, the transmitter and receiver must be a matching pair. 2) You have a couple of options here. If you have an AC voltmeter, you can test that the receiver is either working or not working by measuring the receiver output voltage. Possible that you can remove the rust from the transmitter battery compartment to use it and test the receiver? HB receivers are notorious for becoming defective. 3) The other option would be to purchase a complete replacement canopy receiver and matching transmitter. These are sold as a kit and can be purchased at a Home Depot or Lowe's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i replaced the hand held at amazon.com. I matched the code or thought i did. the old hand held sat all winter with batteries, so you know what happened there. so i will probably have to r eplace the elements that you mentioned.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the hand held was just like the original a hampton.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If the handheld is not an identical replacement, the fan will not work at all or will not work correctly. A universal handheld may look similar, but it needs to be an identical replacement. Since not knowing if the receiver is still functioning, you either need an identical transmitter replacement or somehow get the original transmitter back into working condition in order to measure the voltage output on the receiver and confirm that it is either working or defective. Shown in the link below is a replacement kit sold at the Depot. Lowe's also sells similar kits. http://www.homedepot.com/p/NuTone-Hand-Held-Remote-Control-Transmitter-and-Receiver-RCK01/202851042 Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kevin was very helpful.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
No problem, glad to assist:) If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Shown in the link below is another replacement kit that is sold at Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/pd_317998-1811-RCI-107L_1z0vgbd__?productId=3107737&pl=1 If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise,don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.