Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have 6 LED recessed lighting cans, 120V. I am installing

Customer Question

I have 6 LED recessed lighting cans, 120V. I am installing a Legrand Adorne Touch Dimmer (master) to replace an existing standard dimmer. The power source from my lights goes to the actual recessed cans and then a switch loop down to my switch. My old light had a BK and RD terminals. I had white connected to the BK and black connected to the RD and the lights worked fine.
The new Adorne switch has a WHITE, HOT, and LOAD terminal. Just using the WHITE and HOT terminals I do get a couple of the can lights to come on.. and the switch reacts normally to custom settings/commands. The lights never turn off, even when I turn the dimmer off, and not all of the lights ever come on.
Any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Based on your description of the new switch, it needs a connection to the system neutral. Even though you have a white wire going down to the switch, in this case, it's not a neutral wire.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You will need to either route a neutral into the switch box, or get a switch that doesn't need a neutral connection. If you decide to route a neutral into the switch box, please let me know, so I can post additional recommendations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you make recommendations for the neutral?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Sure. If you route a neutral into the switch box, rather than bringing in just a neutral, bring in a neutral AND its associated hot. In other words, tap into a nearby outlet, and run a 3-wire. Then, you should make the two wires that currently run between the switch and the light a neutral and a switched hot (in the light switch box). This will involve some wiring changes in the light fixture as well. At the light switch, you would splice white to white, with a short white tail out of that splice to the white connection on the new switch. Connect the new hot to the hot connection on the switch, and the old black to the LOAD connection on the switch. Then, at the light...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Disconnect the old hot wire, where it splices to the wire going down to the switch. Cap it off in a wire nut by itself. Then, connect the other side of this splice (the black coming from the light switch box, to the black fixture lead, and any other black wires going out to other fixtures. You will also need to disconnect the existing supply neutral in the fixture, and cap it off. Then, add the white that runs from the switch box to the splice you removed the original neutral from.