Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I am replacing a bosch cooktop that had 4 wires, red, black, green and white. The exist

Customer Question

Hi i am replacing a bosch cooktop that had 4 wires, red, black, green and white. The existing wiring had the white connected to white, the green to green/bare but the red was connected to black and the black to red. I dodn't expect this. The new cooktop is a 3 wire unit. Should i connect the red to red and black to black? If so, why was the old cooktop wired the opposite way?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can send a photo of the original wiring if need be
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure why the original installer would have connected red to black, and black to red. But it's okay that way.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
However, for the sake of simplicity, I would have connected like colors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I'll mention is I think he piggybacked the cooktop off the oven/range circuit... Not sure if that changed things?Okay, so should I connect red to red and black to black this time?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
So, in your case, I would connect cooktop black to wall black, cooktop red to wall red, and cooktop ground to wall ground. Sounds like you don't need the wall white, so I would cap it off.