Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have an electrical problem. I recently discovered a fixture

Customer Question

I have an electrical problem. I recently discovered a fixture with a metal cover will shock when touched. I shut the power off to the area of the bathroom and I am still receiving a shock when attempting to remove the fixtures cover. The fixture will not light the bulb at this and the socket will not operate anything electrical. I was recently suspicious that someone had been in my apartment and since then I have had problems with odd sensations of electrical static.
Do you have a solution as to what I should be looking for?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does the electrical shock sensation feel very strong? Or is it more of a mild shock, such as what you would get when touching a metal doorknob after walking across a carpeted floor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sensation is a strong mild shock. But then there is also the issue that there seems to be some sort of electrical static sensation, like an EMF.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind the power is off and there is still something going on electrically.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. There are EMF meters available. But I would start with something much more basic. Let me post a link for a non contact tester, which you can use to check for an electrical charge without actually touching the light. They cost about $15.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/instruments/inspection-and-detection/2202-20
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the none contact tester. It starts screaming before I even get two feet away
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
In that case, something is definitely going on.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It would be very difficult for me to find the cause through this forum. That being the case, I strongly recommend you bring in a professional electrician for an on-site investigation.