Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a double 30 amp GE breaker in my main panel hot

Customer Question

I have a double 30 amp GE breaker in my main panel for my hot tub. How can I test it to see if it's working? FYI...I tested each pole on the breaker; With the breaker on, I have power on one pole; with the power off, I have power on the other pole? Other double breakers in my box have power on both poles. I am guessing the breaker needs to be replaced, but I want to check with a pro first. Appreciate your help. TOM
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) A properly functioning double pole breaker should measure approximately 240 volts across each of the 2 hot legs on the breaker and approximately 120 volts from each hot leg of the breaker to the neutral bus bar. 2) Based on your description, it appears that the breaker may be faulty and requires replacing. If you have 2 other consecutive slots in the panel, I suggest relocating the 30 amp double pole to 2 of those slots and re-measure for voltage. It is possible that the stab portion located on the hot bus bar where the breaker is seated may have a burn or arc mark on it. When removing the breaker, perform a visual inspection of the 2 hot bus bar stabs. The breaker may also not have been properly seated and locked onto the hot bus bar stabs. 3) If none of the above work, then replace the breaker. Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. The next timey ou have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to test the breaker or did you install a replacement?