Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Took down a ceiling fan want to put back a basic light fixture

Customer Question

took down a ceiling fan want to put back a basic light fixture but out of the ceiling comes a red black white and bare copper wires and the light fixture going back up only has white black and ground wires how do I hook them together
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) I assume you have a wall switch that will control the light fixture? How many wires are terminated on the wall switch and the wire colors?2) The ceiling box only contains 1 black, 1 red, 1 white and 1 bare copper or green ground? No other groups of wires that are spliced and wire nutted together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black and red to wall switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No wires are spliced together in ceiling box
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the confirmation and replies.1) Most wall switches will use the black wire as the hot circuit feed into the switch and the red wire as the switched loop that extends from the switch up to the ceiling box. Therefore make the following connections at the ceiling box:A) Red ceiling wire to the light fixture black wireB) White ceiling neutral to the light fixture white neutral.C) Ceiling bare copper ground wire to the light fixture ground wire (bare copper or green insulated wire)D) Cap off the black ceiling wire with a plastic wire nut as you will not be using it. Reply back to me and let me know if this works OK..........Thanks...........Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome. Works thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Very good. Great job on your behalf:)Was happy to assist. Before wrapping things up, I have one more suggestion. Obtain some white electrical tape and a black Sharpie marker. Label the tape as "switched loop" either on the red wire in the wall switch box and/or at the red wire in the ceiling box. This way, you or the next person will know that the red wire is controlled by the wall switch if the light fixture is ever de-installed in the future. Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.