Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I installed a new Hampton Bay Carolton II LED ceiling fan,

Customer Question

I installed a new Hampton Bay Carolton II LED ceiling fan, wired according to the directions, but the fan and the light will still not turn on. We have a single light switch so I wired the black and blue wires coming from the fan to the black ceiling wire, the white to the white and the 2 green ground wires from the fan to the bare copper ground wire from the ceiling. I also have a red wire coming from the ceiling that is just capped, no connections made to it. The breaker never tripped, but I tried resetting the breaker for that room. I had a ceiling fan that was working in that room just an hour earlier. Any suggestions on what could be wrong?
FYI - Have the same issue with the fan I moved from this room to another. That fan was working just fine prior to removing and reinstalling, wired it up the same as it was in the other room, but now fan or light will not turn on.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester? I suggest that you verify having voltage first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I have a tester. But i had a fan and light working in that ceiling outlet just an hour prior to installing this new one so I know the box has power
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
It may have then but not now. You have to troubleshoot step by step.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. So what exactly am I testing with the 2 wire voltage tester? I am unfamiliar with how to use one
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
With the switch on put the probes into the black and white wire connections. You need a 120V reading. If you have voltage when making the test be carefully the fan may start. Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a tester that shows voltage. Just has a red light with a white and red probe.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
That will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get back to you another time then. I am not at home with access to the fan at the moment. Was just looking for suggestions after troubleshooting for hours yesterday. I will try checking the voltage. If there is power, suggestions then?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Very good.